what the hell is this blog anyways?

To the 3 people that will read this...

Expect game reviews and replays from our weekly game. I may also talk City of Heroes, movies, books and whatever else catches my fancy.

Thursday, July 19, 2012

F@#$ revisiting games


I say often when initially reviewing a game that I haven’t played it enough to make a firm review yet.  So here’s the first revisit post.


Mike actually reviewed this, and I posted that I hated it in the comments and elsewhere.  I am now backing off of that for a couple of reasons.

 
·         I have improved at this game.  Totally self centered and self serving, but something clicked and while I still don’t think I will win often, I am no longer completely over matched.

·         Nerdy Friday went/is going through a stretch of playing mostly 3 player games.  There quite frankly are not many games that play well with 3.  Samurai plays 3 quite well.  And while it will never be my first choice, if it comes down to playing Lost Cities or Galaxy Trucker for the 3rd time in a row, or breaking out the under played Samurai, I say Samurai.

Tip:  This game requires an ambush mind set.  If you just close your own cities the best return you can hope for is 2 tiles for 1 goodie.  I don’t know what the winning goodie ratio is, but it is certainly lower than 2-1.  You must get help from other people to lay tiles onto cities you capture, and the best way to do that is plan/improvise ambushes.


I still like this game, but it might be played out.  We haven’t played it in months and I haven’t really missed it.  While not as set piece as chess, there are axioms to follow that makes early turns into a predictable choreograph.  This is made worse with fewer players at the table.  I really feel this game needs 5 to function well, and if we get 5 at NF, we are probably playing something we don’t get the chance too as often as 7 Wonders.

Tips:  The set piece choreography is resources early in round 1, especially if they match your recipes for Wonder builds.  Military late in every round so your neighbors have less chance to match you.


My main problem with this game is how to win.  A colonizing strategy wins entirely too much, military/exploration wins entirely too little (and by little I mean you can’t focus on these at all, they are only useful as support for colonizing), and mercantilism depends so much on what you can buy.  Also the ‘Incan gold’ buy is broken broken broken.  So the game devolves down to who can maximize the priest landings and whether the mercantile player gets good 3rd round draws.  Game takes way too long for two paths to victory.




I actually really like this game which is amazing since if I play with Mike I will not win.  It might be played out for a while though.  The game can be incredibly frustrating, and while I laugh at myself for screwing this up I can see where this makes it not much fun.  This might be an instance where the game is only good when similar skill levels play.  I mean if most everyone sucks at building the ship, hilarity ensues.  If most everyone builds a good ship, it’s competitive and fun.  If the table is split between the two, it’s not much fun at all.


2 comments:

  1. *I need to get that "Paul the Samurai" comic book for Paul.
    *I don't feel like I have much control over the game in 7 Wonders, my choices are based on very limited information, and most of them are obvious. I would like to hear from someone who is GOOD at this game.
    *I think there are three viable strategies in Age of Empires, I think a combo of colonizing and soldiers may be the most effective. Straight colonization works, but is too dependent on other players leaving you alone. And mercantilism is really fun even though it doesn't will all that much. The satisfaction gained the first time I monopolized the boats was priceless. It's been significantly less effective subsequently :)
    *I am surprised every time you guys want to play that game again. Also it's funny that my internal shipbuilding dialog was not actually not internal. "oooh that's a good one"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. re: Age of Empires

      I feel that military/colonizing is really just a subset of colonizing. If you are going for the colonize win and someone else gets the priests, you have to get the soldier.

      Delete