what the hell is this blog anyways?

To the 3 people that will read this...

Expect game reviews and replays from our weekly game. I may also talk City of Heroes, movies, books and whatever else catches my fancy.

Monday, April 16, 2012

F@#$ JCon

just spent parts of the last 4 days in CoMO playing board games with a group of 10-15 people and it was super fun.  I mixed in some new games with some I had to teach, and my thoughts on those will probably be the topic of 6 or 7 more posts.  This post will be my general experiences.

#1 high blood pressure sucks.  Whenever a group formed up to go get something to eat, I was left out.  Everybody knew I have high blood pressure because I reminded them every 15 minutes, kind of like the "I don't own a TV Guy" from this Onion Article.  So something to work on Darren, along with your low sodium diet.


#2 there was a lot of cats.  They weren't cuddle slut cats so it worked out great for my allergies, I didn't really have any kind of allergy miseries.  Having said that if JCon returns to CoMO, I will once again book a hotel room.

#3 I did not play hardly any games with Mike.  Maybe 4 hours worth out of 48 total gaming type hours.  This worked out great.  The reason at Gencon I don't like to fly solo is the increased likelihood that you will encounter Gamers.  That's Gamers with a capital G.  Players that are so socially retarded that any 4 hour session block becomes tainted, and no amount of natural 20s or board game wins can possibly redeem it.  I seemed to spend most of my time with Schmitty and Chi and they were both super nice and super friendly.


#4  I did not win JCon.  My final Tally was 6 stars, and 4 of those were from wins on games I taught and a win was after we realized we played Chaos in the Old World wrong and it probably was a huge advantage for me.

#5 A tip of the cap to Jason, Jeremy, Josh and Mike for sticking with Roll Through the Ages.  They started at 1:30 and ended around midnight.  Everyone said it was a great, fun game but yikes.

 So a great weekend, next year let me know if there is something else I can do/bring that would help.

11 comments:

  1. How come all this time I've been led to believe that high blood pressure was awesome? I feel like the local hippies who tell me that big pharm is lying to me have been lying to me. It's the double cross, the oldest trick in the hippie playbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're nihilists Donny, they don't believe in anything

      Delete
  2. i thought through the ages was a great, fun game but yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. who did win jcon? after i got off the schneid with *a* star, I became very relieved at not having to prove myself anymore (nevermind that this is all a result of my internal insecurities). I got four legit stars, plus several communally awarded for surviving through the ages, and some space alert drama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Josh

      I think the secret is to play nothing but no thanks! maximizes your stars/minute ratio. so think about that for next year.

      Delete
  4. I had a good time. The people were great and I didn't get sucked into a game that took too long (suckers!). I did not like Chaos in the Old World, if it had a death metal theme instead of a Warhammer meets Hellraiser theme (and we played it correctly) maybe I would have. I did like Space Alert, 7 Wonders, and Olympos. I forgot what else I played. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TIM! I want to see your review of Space Alert. I think this game is AWESOME for communication and team building. I should play it at work.

      Delete
    2. I consider myself charged with a future blog post. Maybe by Sunday? no promises. ;)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Thanks! was fun, but seems best when playing with Zac and Dan T. They are shifty. So is Robert L. Moser. And Rex. Or does the game bring out the shifty in people? Hmmm...

      Delete