what the hell is this blog anyways?

To the 3 people that will read this...

Expect game reviews and replays from our weekly game. I may also talk City of Heroes, movies, books and whatever else catches my fancy.

Saturday, August 4, 2012

F#@$ Breaking in new players

Nerdy Friday had two new players last night.  Welcome to my co-worker Brittany and her husband Bobby.  I said I'd blog about this; so to get this out of the way.  Brittany prematurely revealed two scoring cards in Amen-Re last night, the 9 farmer and east side/west side river card.

 now for the worst segue ever written, how do you get new people to return to your game night?



See its hard, gaming tables have different personalities and its hard to say if its a good match or not.

At Nerdy Friday, most everyone likes to win; its very competitive.  It's good-natured competition but its still fierce.  (as an aside here, while we are competitive we don't have a capital G 'Gamer' personality disorder.  We keep things friendly)



At Nerdy Friday we like to tease one one another.  Again good-natured, but you will get teased sometime during the night.  Probably by me.

Now are you wrong if you don't like fierce competition with a side of trash talk?  Absolutely not.  Games are supposed to be fun.  So if our style isn't to your taste, the only way to do it wrong is to come back and not have fun again.

Brittany and Bobby were both delights to play with last night.  They were friendly, smart, quick playing and very capable of firing back teasing barbs of their own and I hope they come back.

So how do I recruit them?  Well I don't.  I'm way too old to seek new gamers approval, all I can be is myself.  If it was fun for them I totally look forward to seeing them again, otherwise c'est le vie. 

Maybe its analogous to a new job interview when you already have a good job.  At that point you're not too needy, you really are finding a good fit.


No comments:

Post a Comment