what the hell is this blog anyways?

To the 3 people that will read this...

Expect game reviews and replays from our weekly game. I may also talk City of Heroes, movies, books and whatever else catches my fancy.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

F@#$ Top 5 lists.

Bill C. requested I give my top 10 favorite games.  This is actually quite quite hard for me, because (and this is strictly my perspective, insert your own Darren hates every game joke here) I find most games adequate(read greater than 50%), a not insignificant minority poor, and a few brilliant.

Honorable Mentions:

These are games I like a lot, that just don't quite make the cut for a favorite list.

Galaxy Trucker

I like this game a lot because for half the game, everyone is participating simultaneously.   Plus you might get to hear some funny running commentary from Mike.  Oh!  That's a good one!

Now the game has problems.  There is quite a steep learning curve.  An experienced player playing with n00bs is going to the zoo to shoot goats.  And a n00b at a table of veterans is the proverbial blood donor.   Similar skill levels really need to play one another.

Dominion

This is a really really good game that unfortunately had a great, intuitive implementation on BSW at a time when I wasn't playing board games every week.  So I OD'd on the BSW version.  I feel that I know all the secrets from the first 2 expansions and am reluctant to invest further time and money in playing the follow up expansions that are likely to radically change what was an awesome game.

Dixit

Dixit is quite fun but might be better categorized as a party game and not a hard core nerd game.

Ra


Ra is a solid game that is very well balanced, and has several ways to win.

The problem with Ra, is that it is a pure auction game.   Auctions are a perfectly reasonable mechanic, but when that's all the game is, it has pronounced limitations. 

I still really like this game, but the auction only mechanic places this in the play 2-3 times a year category.

Race for the Galaxy

We played RftG regularly for about 18 months so it has immense replay value.  We just hit the wall.  And the follow up expansions broke the game.

The list:

#5

Space Alert.

This game is amazingly innovative and with the right group loads and loads of fun.  Here's the thing:  Its cooperative and difficult.  What that means is one bad mood or one flaky player at the table and this game becomes stressful and not fun.  Still it makes the list because in our early plays when we were able to laugh at our mistakes, these were among the best gaming nights I have had in the last 2 years.

#4

No Thanks

Ok this is a filler card game.  Play a hand or two at the end of the night or while waiting for the other table to finish their game.  However, this is the best filler game I have played.  It remains in regular rotation after 2 years of weekly play and that is really an amazing feat.

#3

Notre Dame

There's nothing unique about this game.  It's a pretty generic worker placement game.  But all the parts come together quite well, and I have an appreciation for well crafted game design.

#2


Alhambra

A tile laying game that I like lots with any number of players.  There is legitimate criticism that as the amount of players increase the tactical options decrease because there are way too many moves in between your turns.  I personally don't mind the chaos and welcome the improvisation that the 5+ player game fosters.

#1

Brass

I have come full circle on Brass.  At first the web implementation was 500 times better than the board game implementation.  But board games are meant to be social, and waiting 6-10 hours between turns eventually turned me off to the online version.  That's not to say that the face to face version doesn't need tweaks, but that's not in game play.  The tweaks are needed in the materials.

Your currency is given in gold and silver coins. Gold is worth 5$ (maybe 10, doesn't matter) and silver is worth 1$.  Ok so far.  Except that it is quite easy to spend over $50 in a turn and have $150 banked.  How much you spend determines turn order, so its quite a big deal, and the pile of coins in the cash spent spots on the board is far from ideal.  If I were to play face to face again, I think I would insist on pencil and paper records of cash on hand and how much you spent per turn.

The other problem is end game.  There is a loan cut off, based on how many turns are left.  The cut off is the last turn that you refill you hand with new action cards.  So there are cards left when you start the turn and its quite easy to forget that this is your last turn to get quick cash.  NABD, if you think about that at the start of game.  Place two piles of cards.  One that announces the cut off, and then the final replacement cards.


4 comments:

  1. the whole POST demands a Darren hates every game joke, and I haven't even read it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like all the games on Darren's list. I'd play any of them, but I probably wouldn't enjoy Dominion as much. I'm sort of tired of it.

    I like Ra and it's one of those games that I still enjoy playing even though I'm terrible at it :)

    Have to give some credit to race for the galaxy because it did manage to engage our group for so long. It is a lot about the cards you get, but clearly skill does matter as the better players won a bit more than their fair share.

    Dixit is the best party game I've played. It hurts my brain when my turn comes up to give a clue because I don't think like that. Still fun.

    No Thanks is amazing for what it is. The better players will win more games over the long term. This game is going to be different with different groups of people. Why? Because fuck you.

    Alhambra probably just missed my list. I really like this game 3 player, I don't care for the "chaos and improvisation" Darren mentioned :) I think all the others would make my top list. I'll post that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A list of favorite games is tough because it's partially a list of what I like and have always liked, and what I'm tremendously excited about at the moment.


    1) Samurai - This is probably my favorite game of all time...for now. I tell everyone the same thing when they first start - Patience Daniel Son.
    2) Brass - I've played this game more than 100 times online. I've gotten about as good as I can get at it. It was the investment in analysis that forced me to give it up :) It's very very good, and considering how contrived the rules are, that's amazing. There's a plenty of randomness in the cards to make each play different, but they don't handicap you. It's quite an achievement.
    3) Le Havre - I've played this game more than 100 times on the iphone app, mostly two player. I do like it three player, but takes significantly longer with the app. It's impressively balanced. What I like most about it is how you can play a blocking game, but still need to know when you've done the damage and are now just hurting yourself. Typical score is 200-300, played a ridiculous game chicken where I lost 31 to 63, among my favorite experiences.
    4) Through the Desert - I love this game because of it's depth, there are a dozen good moves you want/need to make, but you only get two plays. It turned me on to Go. When introduced to it, it was like nothing I had every played. That isn't an important criteria to me in a game, but it impresses me.
    5) Glen Drover's Age of Discovery - Very elaborate worker placement, and a simple combat resolution mechanism. Well balanced game with several strategies for victory.
    6) Notre Dame - The mechanics of this game are new and solid, but I think we've exhasuted their depth. I am probably as good at this game as I am going to get, I just like to continue to play it to beat people :)
    7) Galaxy Trucker - This game is just super fun. If you suck at it, it can be very frustrating. I am unclear as to why my friends continue to play this with me. But I'm glad they do :)

    These games are in the category of "I have only played this game a few times, but it really intigues me"
    1) Agricola - Late to the party on this game, I understand why everyone likes it so much. I would play this anytime, anywhere right now with just a few limitations (mostly around keeping me married and employed).
    2) Castles of Burgundy - Really clever mechanics, game takes a long time but feels fast.
    3) Amun-Re - We're still learning about what's valuable in this game as a group, and that's fun.
    4) Macao - I've never played anything like this, I'm not sure I will continue to like it, but for now I'm very impressed. The winning strategies are still not obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Old school honorable mention:
    1) Stratego - This game never gets old for me. Paul and I still play and I make it fun by trying new strategies, each one more bizarre than the last.

    Only cooperative games that deserve any consideration AT ALL:
    1) Space Alert - I enjoy the problem/puzzle solving aspect of this game, and I love that it's cooperative. The designer, Chavtil, has repeatedly made games that are absolutely different than anything out there, and that impressives the hell out of me.
    2) Arkham Horror - Well done game, only played it once. Well themed and appropriately challenging.

    ReplyDelete