what the hell is this blog anyways?

To the 3 people that will read this...

Expect game reviews and replays from our weekly game. I may also talk City of Heroes, movies, books and whatever else catches my fancy.

Thursday, November 24, 2011

Since it's Thanksgiving, let's discuss turkeys

Nippon Rails - The rail game in a tube. Stupid on several levels. The materials are terrible, the map in particular will never lie flat. It takes a few dozen plays to learn the city names and locations, but who would ever get that far because playing a game that was made for $1.27 is not fun. Turns out board gamers will buy products that are well made. What matters is the game play, not the price.

Race for the Galaxy: The Brink of War Expansion - Road the horse too long and made a great game into a horrible game. This could be said about some Carcasonne and Catan expansions too. At some point it becomes clear that you're just milking this for as much money as possible. I'm looking at you Mayfair.

Talisman - Ahh, we nicknamed this one "the argument starter". Rules that contradicted each other and FAQs that contradicted the rules. But it was fun, at least until the argument started. Why can't I put my mule in my cart?!? And right about the middle of hour three I was never really feeling Talisman anymore. Is there any strategy to this game? Maybe if we set up, played for an hour and then rock/paper/scissored for a victor. I might enjoy that.

Car Wars - I have such fond memories of putting together slick cars and matching them up against my buddies. And some cars from the day are infamous --- the Ice Pig laying down slippery stuff and screwing up the arena. The lux with dual front mounted anti-tank guns....stay out of Chris' front arc. But when the best strategy is to avoid doing anything that would cause you to roll the dice, this game makes a better memory than an evening.





Lego's Ramses Pyramid - I mention this game because Reiner Knizia put his name on it.


I know there aren't a lot of people who can say they design board games full time for a living, and I guess a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do...but this is crap. And this from a guy who's spent a lot more on my kids Legos than my own board games. Just ask my wife, she'll be happy to vent.

So that's five random games from the top of my head. Please add your own!

2 comments:

  1. At Gencon while demoing Carmeggedon, the judge described Car Wars as "Road Warrior as told by Star Fleet Battles". And that's pretty accurate. The pacing is atrocious and I really feel that we stuck with it so long because at the time there really wasn't a better board game alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my addition to the list is any typical Steve Jackson card game, Munchkin, Illuminati,etc. Those games are really unwinnable, whenever anyone gets close to meeting the victory conditions the rest of the table gang beats him down.

    ReplyDelete