what the hell is this blog anyways?

To the 3 people that will read this...

Expect game reviews and replays from our weekly game. I may also talk City of Heroes, movies, books and whatever else catches my fancy.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

F*#$ Games From My Childhood

What did you play as a kid? My dad is/was a war gamer, so I played some crazy stuff. But mostly I played with the kids down the street, not my dad. I would beg my dad to play chess with me, and occasionally he would reluctantly agree. Then he'd crush me in approximately 5 moves, give me a book on chess, and tell me to go read it. "Rematch?"

"No."

We played a couple games though that I have sort of fond memories of. One was called "Dungeon" and in retrospect, it was a horrible game. It enjoys a generous ranking of 2835, I suspect that's more because so many are familiar with it rather than it's actual quality. But that's what they had in 1975.

(we had this alternate cover)

Dungeon was by TSR, and involved wandering around the board, kicking down doors, killing monsters, and taking their stuff.

We also had a game called Sorcerer's Cave which was good from far, but far from good. The concept was great, explore the cave, flip new rooms from a random deck, spread it all around your living room (see picture). But really, it was just an evolution of Dungeon with a nifty random map element thrown in.

It was a little clunky because if you went north and found a dead end, turn over. Determining the temperament of an NPCs involved rolling a single six-sided die. Combat was the same. Luck is fun! Well, not for me.

Sorcerer's Cave ranks a well deserved 2310.

I have some vague recollection of a game called 221B Baker's Street, where you tried to solve mysteries al la Sherlock Holmes. I also remember a game called By Jove which we never played because it came with a booklet of Greek myths that you had to familiarize yourself with. So my dad gave me the book and said "read this." And I didn't :) By Jove seems like it was an educational game anyway, and a rank of 7115 is the new record for games I looked up on purpose.

Anyhow, my friends down the street actually had most of the games we played together, so we played at their house. We played plenty of Risk, a little Axis & Allies, and a little Fortess America. (That's the one where, well, here, let me just paste the description from BBG: "From the west arrives hordes of Asian foes; from the south arrives a union of South American countries through Mexico, and from the east lands come legions of Soviets who have taken over all of Europe. America besieged has to rely on the remaining ground and air forces left in the country along with partisan uprisings to defend mom's apple pie." Ahhh Milton Bradley, those were the days. Well wait! Fantasy Flight is actually re-releasing this game. Because something new is too hard?) We also played some Talisman, this is before I dubbed it "the argument starter". The number of contradictions in the rules of that game was miraculous. Note the playing time, four hours. (Fantasy Flight also re-released this game as a 4th edition).

We played Dark Tower occasionally. I would play that game right now and I don't even remember how it worked. I remember that great midi music though, and the sound of the door slowly opening, and your units fighting the brigands round after round. I also remember my friends' tower breaking and that being the end of that. (2 minutes of Tower ecstasy on youtube here)

Less than $300 on eBay if you act fast!

Oh man, I loved Stratego. I would see that on a shelf at a random friends house and beg to play it. The sad thing is, I probably only played and finished a game like twice. I asked for Stratego for Christmas a few years in a row, nothing. Santa let me down. My mom just dumped a pile of old childhood memories on me and I came across one of those very Christmas lists with Stratego NUMBER ONE, obvious evidence my parents did not love me (Dad, if you're reading this, I'm sorry...but the proof is right there). I got Darren to play me in Stratego last week while we waited for the others to arrive. But like just like in my youth, we never actually finished.

Stratego was awesome. What concept! It had bombs, it had spies, it had surprises, it had subterfuge, it had strategy, it had bombs, it had tactics, it had bombs. The new sets have changed the numbering but not the play, someone decided that the best unit should be the highest, so they flipped all the numbers around. 10 is the best, 2 is the "scout". Whatever, it's still fun!

My son wants to play Settlers of the Catan (sic), badly. So finally, FINALLY, I taught him the basic rules last night. But before we did that, we had to learn all about probability. (It's tough being my son, Paul. I apologize now and I promise, I PROMISE, I'll pay for your therapy later.) I also made him learn about binary before he could play Minecraft. He's 8. I have a problem. But I digress. We play games together semi-regularly, more so now that he's older. Guess what our favorite is? Stratego.

10 comments:

  1. the observant will notice that the stratego box shows red set up on blues side. i love that old man though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He kinda looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "i don't always play stratego, but when i do, i set up the board backwards"?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It does not matter, he wins based on his game-face alone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I played Stratego lots, the one I always wanted to play was Risk, my dad didn't ever want to play that. I started playing D&D when I was 10 with some older kids that were the sons of my parent's friends. My sister and I played Dungeon TONS. We even started adding our own rules to try to make it more complex (we didn't think of it like that, but in hindsight that was the goal, make it more robust and interesting.) Eventually we would play D&D with one of us as the player and the other as a DM, but I put an end to that quickly by making my character evil and arguing that I should be allowed to befriend all of her villainous creatures who were also evil (if good likes good then evil must like evil, right?)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also I always wanted a coat with epaulets like that guy, and he is absolutely perfect for the cover of Stratego.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The remakes of Dungeon was and still is fun, I would play that with a kid any day. Or adults that aren't gonna complain about playing a kid's game. It's ludicrous by euro standards, of course.

    The D&D boardgame was sh!tty, as I recall. A friend has it sitting on a shelf and we never play it. That's how bad I remember it being, that I won't even try it 20 years later. I can't even find it anywhere online, only the new one.

    Jason and I recently looked at trying to buy Dark Tower as well (we used to play it without the board, so all we need is the working Tower). Probably not happening. Crappy games don't generally sell for $300.

    Jason did buy this cheaply, however:
    http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4746/dungeons-dragons-computer-labyrinth-game
    I'd venture to say it would be a good game for Paul. It's fun to play even if you don't know what's happening. However, of course, there are 10,000 better PC games and apps.
    But at least this one feels like you're playing a board game.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Games from my childhood Spanish edition Part 1 of 2

    Nice list of games, it brings fond memories from the past. In Spain board games were mostly a summer activity. It was too hot to be running around so gathered in a shaded place by the pool and spent the hottest hours of the day playing games.

    The most popular games in Spain, by far, are card games and among all the card games, Mus and Tute are king and queen.

    We played Mus for hours… and hours… and hours. It would take too long to explain how it works. But this is a game that old and young play everywhere, particularly on bars. Usually you bet something on it (drinks, appetizers, etc) and it is extremely competitive and loud. Tute is similar ‘bar game’ and it comes in a few flavors… it resembles bridge. Both are very social games and it can be almost as much fun to watch them than to play them.

    Chess, Checkers and Domino since they are good bar games are also quite popular in Spain. I was never too fond of the latter two, but I loved Chess. My dad taught me chess and I loved playing games with him.

    It took me many years to understand how this chess teaching thing happened but this is what I came up with: he won most of the time, not enough to be discouraged but enough for me to really relish my victories as amazing achievements (based on outcome). Looking back, I see now that he rewarded my good strategies and ‘traps’ by falling in them and letting me develop them… that would give me a victory (I remember thinking “hahah! He fell for that pawn sacrifice and I took his knight!” surprisingly clearly). If I made obvious mistakes he would point them out before committing to them, but if I made less obvious ones he would let me find out about them by ostentatiously taking advantage of them (which gave me a chance to recover… sometimes… rarely. (I remember those in terms of “Man! I’m so smart I figured out he was luring me into taking his pawn… but I would have lost my knight!” … or something of that sort). That worked well with my motivation and how much I valued winning those games. It probably shaped how I see and enjoy games in general… but that’s another discussion.

    So… Board games… yeah, let’s get back to that. We did play board games. My fondest gaming memories from ages 10-14 are full of "Stratego" (Mike said it all) and “Escape from Colditz” (Rank 1052).

    “Escape from Colditz” was a fun collaborative/competitive game. If I remember correctly you are a prisoner in a Nazi prison in WW2. Each player plays an officer from a different nationality and starts with different tools and locations. There are different escape routes and plans players can try. Players need to collaborate to escape, but once someone triggers an alarm or escapes it gets increasingly harder for the rest to do so. So you want to collaborate… but not too much. You want to help your fellow prisoners… but not to the point they’ll screw your own plan. Resources are limited too… so there is so much rope and soap to go around and several escape plans might need those. You can imagine how it goes from there. Oh yeah, one player has to play the Nazis…

    There was an element of luck involved (cards and dice), but it wasn’t so prevalent that it would overshadow the negotiation and collaboration aspect of the game. Unfortunately it gets a little bit stale after 15-20 plays once you know the mechanics very well and the strategies within your group are well defined. I can see how you might want to play it again with a different group of people though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Games from my childhood Spanish edition Part 2 of 2

    Risk (rank 6177, surprisingly) came afterwards, we played it for a while but it soon got stale… so we changed the rules. We created a diplomacy phase and team victory rules and conditions. That made it A LOT more fun. Oh the days of backstabbing, plotting, fake alliances, treaties… fun fun. The problem is that it took too long… a common problem with diplomacy games. We still loved it and we played it way too much.

    We got older and wiser… so Risk became the game for ‘kids’ and we moved on to the next best thing (read: similar game, just for “older” kids). Our Risk mod naturally lead us to ‘Diplomacy’ (rank 244). Awesome game in its simplicity. It is genius how well the name describes it. It is a game of diplomacy… and that is it… sure there are wars and stuff…but those are just an excuse with uber-simplistic rules that are just a conduit to the negotiations. Unsurprisingly, the problem with this game is that it takes way too long.

    By the time we were about to hit college, Diplomacy turned into Machiavelli (rank 632). Mechanics are a little more complicated and sophisticated. It has a greater tactic component and a greater random component but it introduced me to asymmetric games: Games where players play different and unequal roles that need different strategies to win. Machiavelli is GREAT at that. (For what I remember)
    All players are viable, all tactics are viable and there are many different winning strategies (some better than others, of course). At its heart it is still a diplomacy game, but many of the diplomacy aspects have been replaced/curtailed by some mechanics and rules resulting in (somewhat) shorter and more straightforward diplomacy phases. I loved this game… and the Spanish troops were the best in the game!

    Then I found about role playing games and Magic… so the board games era was over for good! Until recently, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My dad and I had a semi-regular Stratego game. Friday nights mom would make pizza, we'd watch the Dukes of Hazard then break out Stratego. Good times.

    Our family played a lot of Rummikub too. We had to make up special rules for my dad in this game. If you couldn't put the board back together after figuring out you couldn't go out, you had to draw 10 tiles.

    Pre-RPG friends played Risk and Axis and Allies.

    ReplyDelete