what the hell is this blog anyways?

To the 3 people that will read this...

Expect game reviews and replays from our weekly game. I may also talk City of Heroes, movies, books and whatever else catches my fancy.

Monday, January 23, 2012

F$@& The Sharing Knife


I am not a fan of Lois McMaster Bujold.

Her most famous series is the Vorkosigan Saga, which I just could not get into.  The lead character, Miles Vorkosigan, who starts with disabilities, promptly falls into the “Never wrong, all too rarely a setback” protagonist I alluded to in my Honorverse review.  Admittedly, I didn’t get too far into the series because of that, so I really don’t know if that particular problem continued.  Whatever, I didn’t like the first few books and life is too short to keep reading novels you don’t like.

The Chalion Saga was better.  At least I finished the first one, and it had an intriguing main character which kept me hooked.  The follow up stories didn’t have that good characterization and I put them down after 50-75 pages.

But I loved The Sharing Knife.  

First the setting is great.  Its post-post apocalyptic.  It takes place in North America several thousand years after some great war.  Everything west of the Mississippi river is a barren wasteland (known as the Western Levels), and everything east needs to watch for pieces of that great war occasionally resurfacing (as ‘malices’).

The characters are strong.  The female lead, Fawn, initially plays the ‘fish out of water’ archetype, so Bujold can explain how this world works.   She’s not a passenger however but a genuine protagonist, and her ignorance mirrors her peoples (referred to as Farmers) and educating folks turns into a central theme.   The male lead, Dag, is initially Fawn’s guide to his peoples (Lakewalkers) secrets.  As the story progresses and Dag grows as a character, Fawn turns into his guide.

The world utilizes magic, referred to as ‘ground’.  Ground is more like the concept of ‘the Force’ then sorcery.  Lakewalkers can use ground to sense things, to do minor manipulations, but there’s very little earth shattering sorcery.  The antagonists, ‘Malices’, are a combination of locusts and the movie Highlander.  They suck the life out of everything they come into contact with, and gain the knowledge and power of anything they kill.  They have but one weakness, a Lakewalkers death can be stored in a bone knife, and a malice stabbed with a Sharing Knife is taught how to die.

The series explores a lot of neat themes too.  Lakewalkers patrol and hunt for malices because they are the only ones who can kill them.  But they are secretive, so become feared and unappreciated.  It’s an interesting societal dynamic, they protect a people they despise (some exaggeration for effect…).  Dag is a Lakewalker and Fawn is a Farmer, so when they marry, it’s kind of a deal.  And the clash of these societies is also interesting and is explored throughout the series.

4 books in the series.  I think the 3rd is the strongest, and the 2nd is the weakest.    But very much worth my time and I enjoyed them very much.


6 comments:

  1. i read the curse of chalion...i liked it ok.

    that's all i got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved the first few books of the Vorkorsigan Saga.

    I find it strange that you got the “Never wrong, all too rarely a setback” protagonist feeling. The book is almost as far from that is you can be.

    It might start a little bit like that to show how someone SO handicapped could overcome all adversity to get where he is... but that doesn't last long. Miles is a deeply flawed person that keeps making mistakes after mistakes and needs to keep continuously fighting adversity. BUT... it is a classic Space Opera, he usually overcomes adversity... although, in the process, he does leave a trail of skeletons and corpses in his wake that usually come back to haunt him.

    If you are bored, I would give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am intrigued about the The Sharing Knife.(I thought I should add that) :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, gotta totally disagree here, the Vorkosigan books is one of my all time favorite series, the character is so incredibly flawed in so many interesting ways (not just the physical) it makes for an incredibly entertaining read, the Chalion books were also pretty good, but sharing knife was way too much like a Halmark Channel Movie for my tastes, I did not enjoy them at all, although I only read the first one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the writing in Vorkosigan, but also got a bit bored with him (son/dad) always being right. (Then again, basically so was Ender).
    I read 2 and quit. I own more than that.

    I loved the first Chalion.
    Oddly the second one earned her a Nebula, but the first was far better. The 2nd is a bit of a plodding mystery. She's won as many Hugos as Heinlein, who held the record?

    I own the Sharing Knife and never picked it up after the 2nd Chalion book. Same for the Hallowed Hunt, the 3rd Chalion novel.

    I also got a bit of a Hallmark vibe from them, but like I said, I didn't read them.

    Even though it's my favorite genre, for the most part Fantasy sucks. If you want some good fantasy books to read, I can recommend some newer ones that are surprisingly good.

    Also, fantasy is undergoing a market shift to modern fantasy (to a certain extent this applies to the Sharing Knife) which to me is not the same thing at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a strong preference for scifi over fantasy, but there is less of it available, and even less of it is tolerable let alone good, the best part of fantasy is that there is so darn much of it there is always something new to try. Some recommendations of books I have read recently: Old Mans War, Fuzzy Nation, Enders Game (but not the sequels), Earth Strike and it's sequel whose name escapes me.

    ReplyDelete